At 10:30pm on Wednesday
night I gave myself the Ovidrel trigger injection as instructed. I worked out
this was the last of 41 injections I have administered to myself in total
(Ovidrel was the 41st) in the 29 days between 22nd
January and 19th February. When I woke up on Friday morning I drank
lots of water up until two hours before the procedure (8:30am) when I had to go
nil by mouth. The exception to this was the three paracetamol I was instructed
to take with a sip of water one hour before egg collection. We reported to the
laboratory at Fertility Associates just before 10am, and delivered the semen
sample Dave needed to provide. The embryologist was actually the one who received
the sample from us, and once Dave had completed the submission forms for the
sample they took us straight into the day clinic and got us set up in a small
room with a big chair in the centre. Here they went over all our paperwork,
re-confirming my details and the medical history I had previously provided. I
was then instructed to change into a hospital gown, and shortly afterwards a nurse
came to take my observations (check blood pressure, heart rate and dissolved oxygen).
My doctor then inserted a cannula into my hand ready to receive intravenous medication.
They explained that I would be given a cocktail of midazolam and fentanyl for
the procedure.
![]() |
| Diagram showing how egg collection is carried out |
When they were
finished the team were really pleased to announce we had collected ten eggs in
total, which is a great result! They will fertilise them in the laboratory later
today using the ICSI method, where an individual sperm cell is injected into
each egg (https://www.fertilityassociates.co.nz/media/1699/updated-fertility-facts-icsi-and-ssr.pdf). While this method is often used where
sperm motility is an issue, in our case it helps ensure no additional sperm adhere
to the outside of the egg or zygote (fertilised egg), which could confound the
results of the genetic testing later. After discussion with our specialist we
had previously decided to pay an additional $975 to use Time-Lapse Morphometry
Imaging (TiMi). For this the embryos are placed in a special type of incubator
that photographs them every 10 minutes as they develop (instead of removing
them from the incubator to track progress), which can help embryologists detect
which ones are developing most normally and identify the highest quality embryos
(https://www.fertilityassociates.co.nz/about-us/latest-technologies/time-lapse-morphometry-imaging-timi/). This will hopefully help ensure we have as
many embryos as possible reach the point where genetic testing can be carried
out.
The lab will call us
early tomorrow morning to let us know how many of the eggs have successfully
fertilised. On Wednesday and Thursday next week they will call us to update us
on how many embryos are developing well enough to be biopsied for PGD. On day
five of growth they will then perform the biopsies on any suitable embryos and
freeze them while we await the results of the genetic testing.
22/2/20 Update:
The lab called this morning, of the ten eggs collected, they were able to inject sperm into nine of them. And all nine have fertilised! They will develop them all to Wednesday/Thursday next week and call us each of those days to update us on how many are developing as they should. We are feeling cautiously optimistic.

No comments:
Post a Comment