Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Locked Down, but not Out

Since I've had a few people ask, I thought I'd let anyone wondering know that the next step in our IVF treatment will be postponed until the COVID-19 emergency is under control, and normal routines and services can resume. For those reading this overseas, as of 11:59pm tonight (Wednesday 25th March 2020) New Zealand is going into complete lockdown, with the exception only of essential services. For most people, this means remaining in their homes with the exception of trips to the supermarket/doctor/pharmacy if necessary, and we are allowed out to walk in our neighbourhoods for 'fresh air', provided we maintain social distancing from others of at least 2 metres.

Following the Prime Minister's announcement on Monday that we would be progressing to COVID-19 alert level 4: Lockdown within 48hours, a generic email was sent out from Fertility Associates. It provided a case-by-case list of what the plan would be for people depending on what stage of treatment they were at. As I have not yet started medications for my embryo transfer cycle, or been given a date for transfer, it will happen at a later time. We had figured over the last week or so that our cycle would likely be postponed, particularly since our next step, embryo implantion, would involve return travel from Nelson to Christchurch. We are feeling pretty relaxed about it, and feel fortunate that our cycle is at a good natural stopping point. As things stand, we have two healthy, unaffected embryos safely frozen, where they can stay for weeks, months, or even years if necessary. When society is able to return to normal, however long that takes, I can start the hormone medications in preparation and be implanted then. In the meantime, we will hunker down and wait this out with everyone else (from a socially distant proximity). I also figure now probably isn't the best time to get pregnant given the strain already placed on healthcare, and presumably maternity facilities will be extra busy in nine months time given the extra alone time many couples now have!

Stay safe out there everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment