At the start of this week, on April 28th 2020 New Zealand downgraded our Covid-19 alert from level 4 to level 3. This takes us out of complete lockdown, and allows more businesses to operate provided social distancing and appropriate non-contact measures can be taken. Fertility Associates sent an email and posted a general advisory on their website, which stated which treatments they are currently able to conduct. This includes manufactured embryo transfer cycles, which is the category that we fall into. 'Manufactured' refers to the process of using medications to generate an artificial menstrual cycle, ensuring my body provides the right environment for the transfer of embryos. I called to confirm our eligibility to continue treatment, and also to check this included permission to travel from Nelson to Christchurch. I was advised that we can go ahead, and that Fertility Associates are considered an essential service so we are permitted to travel there.
In preparation, I made an appointment and had my copper IUCD removed by my GP, since my previous appointment had to be cancelled as we started moving towards lockdown. I then called Fertility Associates on day 1 of my cycle, and after going over a checklist of questions with me, the nurse advised me to immediately start taking the Progynova (estradiol (E2)) tablets three times a day. I already had the prescription, but they will send another to make sure I have enough as I will need to be taking it for several weeks. As I mentioned in an earlier post, E2 is the main estrogen hormone usually released by developing follicles, and one of its purposes is growing the endometrium (uterine lining), which in this case will prepare my lining for the embryo implantation.
The embryologist then called to go over the details of my plan for this cycle, which they emailed with a lab request form for a blood test, a letter declaring Fertility Associates to be an essential service (for when we travel), and a consent form for us to sign for this treatment cycle. I am to have a blood test and a scan (in Nelson) on May 14th to check how my body is responding to the Progynova. They will call with the results, but all going well, on May 16th I will start self-administering Utrogestan (progestone (P4)) vaginal pessaries. This is another hormone normally made by a follicle once it has secreted its egg, which maintains the endometrium so that the embryo can implant and cause a pregnancy. At this stage, the tentative date anticipated for embryo transfer at the Christchurch clinic is May 21st. Two weeks later I will have a blood test to see if the implantation has successfully resulted in pregnancy.
I’m writing this blog to chronicle our experiences as we look at starting a family in the face of hereditary genetic illness. I intend this page to be an easy way of providing information to our friends and family, as well as others who may be facing similar circumstances and may find our experience useful. We feel it is important to talk more openly about issues such as these, rather than treat the subjects as taboo.
Friday, May 1, 2020
Aaand we're back
Labels:
ataxia,
disease,
genetic,
hereditary,
illness,
in vitro fertilisation,
IVF,
machado-joseph disease,
MJD,
PGD,
pre-implantation genetic diagnosis,
SCA3,
spinocerebellar ataxia type 3,
testing
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment